More convenient options, plant-based foods and pickup options will come this year
By NACS Online // January 06, 2020
ALEXANDRIA, Va.—A new year means new changes to the food retail industry, including both grocery and convenience store. Here are some of the next trends coming to grocery stores in 2020 as predicted by an article on wtop.com:
- More convenient food options: The demand for grab-and-go meals will rise and retailers will bring consumers more variety in their offerings.
- Meals for two:Online meal order food kits geared toward couples have taken off, so now the concept of this easy-to-make meal for two is hitting the grocery aisles.
- International flavors:People are getting more adventurous in their eating. Expect more international flavors this year.
- Less meat:We’ve seen how plant-based foods have changed the industry already. The movement will forge ahead in 2020 as more plant-based options will rise in ingredients and ready-made options.
- Ketogenic diet products:To keep up with the latest diet fads, grocers will offer keto-friendly foods that are low in carbohydrates.
- “Feel-good brands:”Consumers are more conscious than ever about the companies they’re buying from. In 2020, expect to see more brands highlighting their eco-friendly practices or ethical work.
- CBD:The boom will continue this year as more and more products include CBD.
- More data:Technology will continue to infiltrate the grocery industry in everything from customer loyalty programs to cashier-less stores.
- No-stop shopping:People want things fast. As a result, delivery and pickup options will expand this year.