The MIRA Foundation was established in 1999 as the philanthropic arm of MIRA “The Voice of Independent Retailers” and is dedicated to providing scholarships and promoting education through the food and petroleum industry. The MIRA Foundation also participates in industry research and other projects to better the food, beverage, and petroleum retail industry.
Academic Scholarship Program
Each year the MIRA Foundation awards $1,000 or $1,500 academic scholarships to extraordinary and deserving students from Michigan and Ohio who will or are attending an accredited public and private college or university. We are very proud of and thankful to our sponsors and constituents, who have continued to give generously to this important program. You truly make a difference, and together we help to improve our youth’s chances at success.
Since its inception, your contributions have permitted the MIRA Foundation to distribute over $600,000 in scholarship funds to the employees and family members of MIRA member businesses, their customers, and youth who are in need.
The MIRA Foundation hosts a scholarship luncheon each year. We have named this special event the Joseph D. Sarafa luncheon in honor of the contributions of MIRA’s former long-serving president, Joe Sarafa, under whose administration and inspiration the MIRA Foundation was created.
The MIRA Foundation is designed to reinforce the importance of education and charitable giving among its member companies and future generations to come because MIRA believes its support for educational growth and the community continues to strengthen the voice for independent food, beverage, and petroleum retailers in the Midwest.
To learn more about our Foundation scholarship program, click here.
MIRA Foundation – Making A Difference
In addition to the Scholarship Program, the MIRA Foundation has engaged in other important causes.
Since 1999, the MIRA Foundation has:
- Conducted an Annual Turkey Drive through grocery retailer donations, which helps to provide a traditional Thanksgiving dinner and holiday meals to those in need.
- Partnered with Select Michigan to support farmers and agribusinesses by encouraging consumers and retailers to select Michigan-grown and -processed local foods.
- Engaged in a collaborative effort with various area organizations to increase employment opportunities in the community. MIRA Foundation encourages both businesses and job seekers to use the MIRA Employment Bank to identify jobs and employment prospects.
- Partnered with the Salvation Army to promote its Red Kettle Christmas Campaign program in retailer stores, which enables the Army to provide food, toys, and clothing to those in need.
- Partnered with Oakland County government, Oakland Schools, and other community agencies to host a “Fighting Childhood Obesity” conference to educate parents and professionals on the dangers of childhood obesity.
- Worked in collaboration with a wide range of community organizations and agencies to assist with programs for the hungry and at-risk youth.
We encourage MIRA members to volunteer their time and resources to sponsored MIRA Foundation programs as an extension of your involvement in our community.
Please support MIRA Foundation, Inc.
We are grateful for donations made by MIRA members and friends. You can help through financial contributions, MIRA Foundation fundraising activities, and volunteering your services to the Foundation’s education, charitable, and humanitarian projects. Check should be made out to MIRA Foundation, Inc. | 5779 West Maple Road | West Bloomfield, MI 48322 | Tel: 248.671.9600
MIRA Foundation, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and donations are tax deductible.