Updates from Blue Cross of Michigan
Here’s the latest information on COVID-19 testing.
There are two types of tests:
- Molecular (viral test): This test is used to determine if a person is currently infected with COVID-19. It can diagnose individuals early in the course of the disease, which helps prevent its spread.
- Serological (antibody test): This test detects antibodies in the blood to determine if a person previously had a COVID-19 infection. At this time, the science can’t confirm if a person with antibodies is protected from getting the virus again.
Tests must be ordered by a physician or other qualified health professional. So, those who want to be tested should contact their provider. At-home self-tests aren’t widely available, and the accuracy of these tests can vary greatly.
Michigan providers are conducting about 10,000 tests a day, and the number of positive test results are decreasing.
Watch our webinar for clinical insights on COVID-19 testing.
Providing for our providers
We’re working closely with the provider community to understand their challenges during the COVID-19 pandemic. Here’s what we’re doing to help:
- Meeting regularly with physician organizations to provide information on COVID-19 related benefits and policy changes
- Surveying providers to assess their financial health and understand their needs
- Helping propel the rapid transition to federally compliant telehealth with incentives, benefit changes and leadership
Sharing best practices
- Supporting the timely flow of information through a statewide exchange
- Joining forces with state agencies and medical associations to deliver informative webinars on a variety of timely topics such as medicine post-pandemic, telehealth and more
- Working with provider organizations to support care practices for COVID-19 patients
Deadlines for wellness-based plans extended
Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19, we’ve made additional changes to deadlines for Healthy Blue LivingSM HMO and Healthy Blue AchieveSM PPO plans. The extension applies to plan members who are missing one or more of their requirements for the current plan year. They’ll be informed of these changes by mail. View this FAQ for the details.