Senate Bill 973 was signed into law on January 5, 2017 as Public Act 514 of 2016.
The amended law will go into effect on April 9, 2017
This legislation adds Specially Designated Distributor (SDD) licenses that also hold Specially Designated Merchant (SDM) licenses as eligible merchants that may fill growlers. This is in addition to the current law that allows on-premises retailers with SDMs to fill growlers. The requirements for filling growlers under MCL 436.1537(10) will remain the same (see below). Furthermore, licensees that hold the appropriate licenses under this law do not require any additional approval from the Michigan Liquor Control Commission to fill growlers.
MCL 436.1537(10) An eligible merchant may fill and sell growlers with beer for consumption off the premises under the following conditions:
- The premises where the filling of growlers takes place comply with the requirements for food service establishments under the food law, 2000 PA 92, MCL 289.1101 to 289.8111.
- The growler is sealed and has a label affixed to it that includes at least the brand name of the beer, the class of the beer, the net contents of the container, and the name of the retailer filling the growler.
- The eligible merchant or his or her agent or employee shall not fill a growler in advance of the sale.
- The eligible merchant or his or her agent or employee shall only utilize containers that have a capacity of 5 gallons or more to fill a growler.
- The beer to be dispensed has received a registration number from the commission and has been approved for sale by the commission.
- The eligible merchant complies with all applicable rules promulgated by the commission.