The city of Eastpointe, Mich. recently relaxed its sign ordinances to make it easier for businesses to advertise. The new rules incorporate a number of changes, including:
- Allowing wall signs to encompass up to 15% of the front of a building and up to 25% of the side of a building.
- Permitting window signs to encompass 50% of the glass, compared to 25% under the old law.
- Gasoline price signs can now be up to 40 square feet (compared with 20 square feet before).
- Up to four temporary signs or banners may be displayed each year for special events or sales (as opposed to three) at a size of up to 32 square feet (as opposed to 6 square feet).
- Construction and holiday signs are also now permitted.
As always, permits are required for certain signs, and merchants should check with City Hall.