The Michigan WIC Program will be updating the list of WIC approved foods in mid-October of this year.
The new name for this food list will be The Michigan WIC Food Guide.
There will be many changes to the list of WIC approved foods. A letter explaining all the changes will be sent to each vendor along with a supply of Food Guides in early October.
To help you prepare for the upcoming changes, below are the most significant changes:
- 46 oz plastic and 46 oz. cans of juice will no longer be WIC approved.
- 8 oz. cheese will no longer be WIC approved. The only WIC approved size for cheese will be one pound (16 oz.) packages.
- Honey Kix will no longer be WIC approved.
- Peanut butter will be approved in 16 – 18 oz. jars, and only store brands. National brands will no longer be WIC authorized.
To assist you in adjusting your inventory for this change, below are all the brands of peanut butter the WIC Program is aware of that meet the new size and brand criteria.
- Meijer – creamy, crunchy
- Kroger – creamy, crunchy
- Velvet – crunchy, smooth
- Great Value – creamy, crunchy
- Panner – creamy, crunchy
- Always Save – creamy
- Our Family – creamy, crunchy
- Centrella – creamy, crunchy
- Hy Top – creamy, crunchy
- ShurFine – creamy, crunchy
- Spartan – smooth, crunchy
- Valu Time – creamy, crunchy
- Clear Value – creamy, crunchy
- Shoppers Value – creamy, chunky
- IGA – crunchy, creamy
- Essential Everyday – creamy, extra chunky
- Peanut Delight – creamy, crunchy
- Value Choice – creamy
National brands (such as Jif, Peter Pan, Skippy, Reeses) are no longer WIC approved in any size as of October 15, 2013.